Cannabis, commonly known as marijuana is a mind-altering drug extracted from the cannabis plant. Sativa and Indica are among the variety of strains developed from the cannabis plant. Cannabis is largely used as a recreational drug but also as a medicinal drug as discussed in this article.
Sativa vs Indica cannabis strains differences
Besides being developed from the same plant, Sativa vs Indica cannabis strains has varying species which differentiates them. Not only do they differ in their physiological effects, but also their appearance. According to research, Sativa is a tall plant with narrow leaves whereas Indica is a short plant with wide leaves. They both have various mental and physical effects.
Cannabis sativa strains
Cannabis sativa is a herbaceous species that stimulate the mind. It is known to survive in warm areas. Cannabis Sativa is commonly said to be ‘head high’ or ‘mind high’ even though it does not leave you feeling heavy or sleepy.
Effects associated with sativa strains
- Energizing –Sativa strains contain terpenes that provide an energy boost that definitely change how you feel. This is mostly used by consumers who use it before undertaking an activity. In addition, a change in mood alleviates depression and anxiety.
- Uplifting- many consumers of Sativa strains tend not to feel relaxed and involve themselves in social activities after use.
- Creativity- Sativa strains consumption increases cerebral blood flow which makes the brain active hence you may feel very productive and creative.
- Insomnia-this often happen to night-time users, since Sativa strains boosts energy, you could end up being unable to sleep.
- Dry mouth- THC in Sativa strains binds with receptors in your salivary gland and hence slows production.
Cannabis Indica strains
In Sativa vs Indica cannabis strains, indica strains tend to have higher THC. It is associated with full-body effects meaning it makes you feel relaxed. Unlike sativa strains, Indica strains are well suited for people with insomnia, pain, and nausea.
Effects associated with Indica strains
- Relaxing– Indica strain has terpene shown to produce relaxing and anti-anxiety effects.
- Nausea-soothing- many consumers find Indica strain to have a fruity flavor and hence help stop the feeling of being nauseous.
- Appetite-this a good thing for those people with low appetite. Indica strain will boost your appetite.
- Pain relief-the percentage of THC in indica strains may help to relieve pain, especially chronic pain.
- Dizziness-Indica strain is known to have a terpene that lowers blood pressure and cerebral blood flow, causing dizziness.
- Paranoia- some compounds in indica strains trigger the brain and hence increases fear and paranoia
According to Sativa vs Indica cannabis strains’ effects, it is safe to have knowledge of both its positive and negative effects before indulging in any of the strains. It is also important to know that every individual experiences and responds to these strains differently according to one’s physiological system. It is therefore always important to consult with one’s doctor.